PATRON BEHAVIOR CONDUCT GUIDELINES
Welcome to Rampart Library District. We are dedicated to protecting the rights and safety of library patrons, volunteers and staff. Our goal is to enable all library visitors to enjoy an inviting and comfortable atmosphere and to facilitate the use of library services and resources. Please respect the rights of others and comply with the following rules while on library property.
Behavior that is not appropriate in our library or on library grounds includes but is not limited to:
• Possession or use of alcohol, illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia or being under their influence
• Possession or use of medical or recreational marijuana
• Smoking, use of electronic smoking devices or use of tobacco products
• Disrupting the normal flow of library operations or interfering with the use and enjoyment of the library by others (including running, playing on elevators or staircases, throwing objects, fighting, use of skateboards, rollerblades or roller skates)
• Solicitating, petitioning, peddling and other interactions in pursuit of selling goods or services or entreating other patrons or staff
• Inappropriate activities such as loud interaction, bathing, shaving, washing clothes or dishes, sleeping, gambling, betting or wagering
• Misuse of computers including illegal activities and publicly viewing sexually explicit or pornographic materials
• Inappropriate attire or offensive odor
• Using incendiary devices, such as candles, matches or lighters
• Theft or other attempts to convert library property to personal use
• Destroying or vandalizing library property or threatening to damage property
• Language or gestures that are intimidating or obscene or demonstrate a lack of civility
• Violent behavior or any form of unwanted touching or other contact
• Engaging in any action that is sexually inappropriate or offensive, including public display of affection
• Communicating a threat of harm to any person or property
• Carrying a weapon of any kind with the exception of a concealed firearm with a permit
Food is permitted only at scheduled events. Covered beverages (nonalcoholic) are permitted.
Rampart Library District reserves the right to restrict access to persons who do not comply with the above guidelines and who refuse to cooperate with library personnel.
When the behavior of a patron constitutes a disruption which interferes with the use of the library by other patrons or which interferes with a staff member’s completion of his or her duties and the patron is unable or unwilling to cease that unacceptable conduct, he/she will be asked to leave. Law enforcement may be notified. Any patron banned from the Library District may appeal once in writing to the Library Director within 10 days of the action. Final determination will be made by the Rampart Library District Board of Trustees.
Concerns about the Rampart Library District Conduct Guidelines must be presented in writing with specifics to the Library Director. Please provide your name and contact information. The Library District may amend or supplement this policy from time to time and reserves the right to do so.
Approved by the Rampart Library District Board of Trustees on March 9, 2010. Reviewed and approved by the Rampart Library District Board of Trustees on August 13, 2013, May 13, 2014 and. March 10, 2015.