Rampart Library District Patron Code of Conduct
Welcome to Rampart Library District. We are dedicated to protecting the rights and safety of library patrons, volunteers and staff. Our goal is to enable all library visitors to enjoy an inviting and comfortable atmosphere and to facilitate the use of library services and resources. Please respect the rights of others and comply with the following rules while on library property.
Behavior that is not appropriate in our library or on library grounds includes but is not limited to:
- Any action or behavior which is illegal or disruptive, disturbing, disorderly or potentially harmful to others or that disrupts the normal flow of library operations.
- Possession or use of alcohol, medicinal or recreational marijuana, illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia or being under their influence. Smoking, use of electronic smoking devices or use of tobacco products indoors or within a 15-foot radius of library property.
- Solicitation, petitioning, campaigning, peddling and other interactions in pursuit of selling goods or services or entreating patrons or staff.
- Inappropriate activities in bathrooms including taking library materials into restrooms, bathing, shaving, washing clothes or dishes.
- Loitering, sleeping or putting head, legs or feet on furniture.
- Misuse of computers including illegal activities and publicly viewing sexually explicit or pornographic materials.
- No unattended personal belongings.
- Bringing in more than one canvas, nylon, paper or plastic bag is prohibited. Larger bags of any type (over 18 inches in length), bedrolls, or luggage are prohibited.
- Inappropriately revealing attire or offensive odor.
- Refusal to leave library after designated closing time.
- Using incendiary devices, such as candles, matches or lighters.
- Language or gestures that are intimidating or obscene or demonstrate a lack of civility.
- Engaging in any action that is sexually inappropriate or offensive, including public display of affection.
- Carrying a weapon of any kind with the exception of a concealed firearm with a permit.
- Animals in the building with the exception of legitimate service animals.
- Cell phones are permitted as long as they are not disruptive.
- Food is permitted only at scheduled events or in designated areas. Covered beverages (nonalcoholic) are permitted.
Rampart Library District reserves the right to restrict access to persons who do not comply with the above guidelines and who refuse to cooperate with library personnel.
When the behavior of a patron constitutes a disruption which interferes with the use of the library by other patrons or which interferes with a staff member’s completion of his or her duties and the patron is unable or unwilling to cease that unacceptable conduct, he/she will be asked to leave. Law enforcement may be notified. The Director or management may, on a temporary basis, suspend the privileges of library users who violate this code.
The Rampart Library District Board of Trustees will consider and vote on any recommendation by the Director to ban an individual from library services on a permanent basis. Any patron banned from the Library District may appeal once in writing within 10 days of the action. Final determination will be made by the Board and notified by mail within 60 days of receipt of appeal.
Concerns about the Rampart Library District Patron Code of Conduct must be presented in writing with specifics to the Library Director. Please provide your name and contact information. The Library District may amend or supplement this policy from time to time and reserves the right to do so.
Approved by the Rampart Library District Board of Trustees on March 9, 2010. Reviewed by the Rampart Library District Board of Trustees on January 11, 2022.