Rampart Library District Exhibits and Displays
The Rampart Library District welcomes the opportunity to allow groups, organizations or individuals to use the various display areas designated by the Library Director. Educational, cultural, civic and recreational displays are encouraged.
This policy applies to items that are on display in the Library District on a temporary basis. This includes, but is not limited to, artwork for display or sale, display cases and materials, collectibles and memorabilia, historical items and any items on loan to the library.
Rampart Library District recognizes the Library Bill of Rights, Article 6, which states: “Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.”
- All displays are subject to the availability of library space and resources.
- Items will be on display for a limited time only, to be agreed upon before. No exhibit will be on display for longer than 3 months.
- The District accepts no responsibility or liability for loss or damage to or theft of an item during the time it is on display.
- Damage to library property resulting from the display will be the liability of the lender or exhibitor of said item(s).
- Lenders or exhibitors must read these guidelines and sign an Exhibit and Display Waiver of Liability Form prior to displaying their work.
- Rampart Library District reserves the right to decline displays, materials or any item for loan at the District’s discretion.
Guidelines on Accepting Materials for Display
- Authority to approve materials for display is delegated by the Board of Trustees to the Director, who may choose to further delegate authorization to individual library managers and/or committees. Any questions or concerns will be resolved by the Board of Trustees.
- All displays will be evaluated based upon the following criteria:
- Displays should appeal to the broad group of people who make up the library public which includes all age groups.
- Forms of expression judged to be unprotected by the First Amendment or judged to be “obscene” according to applicable law will not be accepted for display in the library.
- Any individual not under a professional artist group must submit at least 5 pieces that are representative of the artwork being displayed as a whole for review by the Exhibit Committee.
- Professional artist groups that are displaying artwork together may only exhibit original items created by members of that group.
Guidelines on Displaying Materials after Approval
- The responsibilities of the lender or exhibitor are:
- Complete and sign the Exhibits and Display Waiver of Liability Form for loss, theft, damage or destruction of displayed items while they are on library property.
- Set up the exhibit in the Library according to a pre-determined and agreed upon date, under the supervision of the Director or Exhibit Committee. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Maintain the exhibit by periodically coming into the library during library hours.
- Dismantle the exhibit on the predetermined and agreed upon date and time.
- Remove any unwanted exhibit items upon request from the library. (see attached form)
- Before removal of the items on display will be allowed, any cost incurred by the Library due to the display must be paid.
- Only original artwork created by the individual on file may be included in the exhibit. Art that is not the creation of the artist on file may not be displayed without the consent of the Exhibit Committee.
- Children’s artwork is reserved for special children’s displays and may not be mixed with adult work.
- Pricing is not allowed on artwork.
Questions about the Exhibits and Displays Policy must be presented in writing with specifics to the Library Director. Please provide your name and contact information. The Library District may amend or supplement this policy from time to time without notice and reserves the right to do so.
Approved by the Rampart Library District Board of Trustees on February 12, 2008.
Last revised and approved by the Rampart Library District Board of Trustees on June 8, 2021.