The Rampart Library District recognizes that patron records and other information that identifies a person as having used the Library are confidential under provisions of the Colorado Library Law (Colorado Revised Statutes 24-90-119). In accordance with the Library Law, privacy of library records is protected as follows:
1. Except as set forth in subsection (2) of this section, a publicly-supported library shall not disclose any record or other information that identifies a person as having requested or obtained specific materials or service or as otherwise having used the library.
2. Records may be disclosed in the following instances :
a. When necessary for the reasonable operation of the library; b. Upon written consent of the user;
c. Pursuant to subpoena, upon court order, or where otherwise required by law;
d. To a custodial parent or legal guardian who has access to a minor’s library card or its authorization number for the purpose of accessing by electronic means library records of the minor.
3. Any library official, employee, or volunteer who discloses information in violation of this section commits a class 2 petty offense and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished
by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars.
Rampart Library District staff shall consider use of the library, questions asked, materials borrowed, attendance at library programs, and the presence of the patron in the library, as being protected by this law.
In addition, Rampart Library District will seek to protect the confidentiality of the patron’s library record, account and library presence by securing and limiting access to these records to approved library staff only.
Guidelines for Access to Patron Information
1. Information contained in a patron library card record is protected under the Colorado Library Law. Staff members cannot reveal this information to anyone other than the registered patron unless the registered patron has given prior written permission to release it to certain individuals. This includes, but is not limited to, information on what titles have been checked out or what fines are owed.
2. Patron records , including items checked out, on hold , overdue and fines owed, are
available online through My Account in the library catalog at http://rampart.colibraries.org. The library card number and PIN (personal identification number) are required to access this information.
3. A parent or guardian of a child may be provided information by library staff of checked
out materials if the primary purpose is to pay fines or recover missing materials. The parent or guardian must present the child’s library card and provide the staff with current picture identification of the parent or guardian, provide the child’s last name, library card number and PIN, or give evidence of the relationship to the child by name , address and phone number of the child.
Guidelines for Holds
Library staff is not allowed to give a book or even the title of a book on hold to anyone other than the person who placed the hold except in the following instances:
1. The person who is picking up an item on hold has the library card of the patron for whom it is being held.
2. The person picking up an item on hold has a written note from the patron for whom it is being held giving him/her permission to pick up the item this time only. The item on hold will be checked out on the card of the patron who placed the hold. Identification will be required.
3. The library has been given prior written permission to allow family members or other
friends (up to three) to pick up materials. A message with specific names will be added to the patron library card record. The item on hold will be checked out on the card of the patron who placed the hold. Identification will be required.
Concerns about the Privacy of Patron Records and Use Policy must be presented in writing with
specifics to the Library Director. Please provide your name and contact information. The Library District may amend or supplement this policy from time to time and reserves the right to do so.
Approved by the Rampart Library District Board of Trustees on August 16, 2005
Reviewed on November 13, 2018.