The Rampart Library District believes in freedom of information for all and does not practice censorship .* Censorship is an individual matter and while anyone is free to reject materials for his/her own use, he/she may not exercise censorship to restrict the freedom of others. The District knows that some materials may be controversial but selection is based solely on the merits of the material in relation to the building of the collection according to the Collection Development Policy, not upon anticipated approval or disapproval.
Responsibility for the use of library materials by children and adolescents rests with their parents or legal guardians. Selection decisions are not influenced by the possibility that materials may be accessible to minors. The District does not label materials to show approval or disapproval or to indicate certain philosophies nor does it remove materials from normal shelving except to prevent them from damage or theft.
The District recognizes that the collection of diverse materials may result in some complaints or requests for reconsideration. It realizes the importance of providing a consistent method for the public to express their concerns about material(s) in the collection.
Procedures for Reconsideration Requests:
1. Any request for reconsideration must be made in writing using the Rampart Library District Reconsideration Form that is available at the public service desks.
2. The form should be sent to the attention of the Director.
3. Once the properly completed form has been received, a letter will be sent to the patron acknowledging receipt and enclosing a copy of the Reconsideration Policy and Patron Access to the Collection Policy.
4. A committee consisting of the Director and at least 2 other staff members will review the request and do the appropriate research.
5. The committee will make a recommendation regarding the disposition of the challenge. The final decision rests with the committee.
6. The patron will be notified in writing after a decision is made.
7. This process may take 6-12 weeks.
8. If the patron feels that the decision does not follow the policies governing reconsideration, he/she may request in writing that the Board of Trustees review the material.
*Rampart Library District adheres to Colorado Revised Statute 22-87-102(3), Children’s Internet Protection.
Concerns about the Requests for Reconsideration Policy must be presented in writing with specifics to the Library Director. Please provide your name and contact information. The Library District may amend or supplement this policy from time to time and reserves the right to do so.
Approved by the Rampart Library District Board of Trustees on March 15, 2006
Reviewed by the Rampart Library Board of Trustees on July 14, 2020